Since taking the local music charts by storm in 2012 with the hit single Elephant Shoes, Nevis has become a much-loved household name across the country. Born and raised in Athlone, Cape Town, he has made his mark with other hit singles such as Heartboxing, 7764, All About It and Ballin’.
Having grown up in a Christian home, Nevis was very involved with the church as well as his community. “Music was a large part of my life growing up, especially in church, but it was only in high school that I really started to take my singing seriously,”reminisces Nevis.
His sound has naturally grown and developed over the years and is something that is constantly being re-imagined by different levels of maturity within himself, yet he continues to remain to true to himself by only writing about personal experiences. “I’ve been doing a lot of exploring of things that are slightly off-centre lately and I think that is echoed in my sound. As I grow, I’m becoming more unapologetic with how I represent my sound and who I am. For all I know, I may not be this person next year. I’m ever-changing which is exciting,” says Nevis.
His first album, Subliminal, released in November 2012 under Rude World Records was incredibly well received. The Masses, his second album, was released towards the end of 2014 and saw Nevis being nominated for two SAMAs, namely Male Artist of the Year as well as Best Pop Album.
Among many of his accolades, Nevis has had the opportunity to work and collaborate with some of the best musicians and producers South Africa has to offer, including MiCasa, Pascal & Pearce, Kwesta and Sketchy Bongo. He has also opened for international stars such as Tevin Campbell and Pharrell Williams, and in November 2017 performed his first solo concert at the GrandWest Arena in Cape Town.
Together with Cassidy Emmanuel in 2015, Nevis founded the Blue Collar Foundation, a philanthropic initiative that hopes to inspire and create change among the youth of Cape Town, with a focus on creating opportunities that encourage the youth to dream beyond the means of their socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017, Nevis designed and created his own apparel and accessories range under the fashion label York Yard.
The label is very much inspired by the countless hours Nevis spent in his backyard as a child; a space which allowed him to freely express what he now regards as his calling in life. During those years, his backyard became ‘Madison Square Garden’ in New York City as he would sing daily for his family and neighbours.
- 2014 Channel O African Music Video Awards nomination for Best RnB video
- 2014 Wawela Awards (SAMRO) nomination for Best Male Artist and Composer
- 2014 SAMA nomination for Record of the Year
- 2015 South African opening act for Pharrell Williams’ South African tour
- 2015 MTV Africa Music Awards nomination for Best Pop and Alternative Award
- 2015 SAMA nomination for Male Artist of the Year
- 2015 SAMA nomination for Best Pop Album
- 2015 GQ Best-Dressed Men of the Year Awards South Africa (placed #9 overall)
- 2016 Co-coach on Season 2 of The Voice South Africa
- 2017 Berlin Fashion Film Festival winner for Best Fashion Film
- 2017 Bokeh Fashion Film Festival nomination for Best Sound
- 2017 Launch of York Yard fashion label
- 2017 Co-coach on Season 3 of The Voice South Africa
- 2018 Guest on Dancing with the Stars South Africa
AGENT: SAMANTHA DE BRUIN
C: +27 76 519 6215